Wednesday 23 November 2011

Poorly Pater

Oh my God, the sun is on my skin and I'm not melting!
Finally got my father to sit out in the sun and try to capture some precious vitamin D.
Sitting in the sun just goes against everything he knows, but the knees are out and he's got my hat on!
And he is actually smiling!

The stereotype of men making bad patients and having low pain thresholds - my father was the source of that stereotype - god he is terrible.
When I told a friend's Mum about him she said
'When men are ill, they are hell' Spot on!


I'm still smiling!

The recovery for his kidney failure is one to two months. Its a very very slow process, which is hampered by the fact that he is very down about the permanent change in his lifestyle!
No red meat, no extra salt on everything and those heavy meals at 10.30 pm at night followed by a coca cola and chocolate, have come to a full stop; not forgetting that he now has to exercise - regularly, he is not quite sure which is the most traumatic.

His diet is such a delicate balance of protein, potassium and sodium foods and the range of vegetables he can eat is incredibly limited, which is hampered by the fact that there is no Sainsbury's Local with blueberries flown in from South Africa! Damn - only locally grown, seasonal vegetables.

He has to have dialysis twice a week until his kidneys are fully functional again but is remarkably better than when I first arrived 3 weeks ago.
Anisa, Aliyah, Dada and Noorah
My mother needs another medal for her perseverance and determination to get him to eat, walk and do what the doctors have advised him.


The photos were taken just a few days before all the kids left. He did come into the garden for short periods most days while the girls played and screamed a lot around him but it was the first time with the hat and knees, a photo opportunity not to be missed.





Anisa, Noorah, and tubs Hidayah



Who are you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment