Wednesday 23 November 2011

Dar-ul-sukun - The House of Peace a brief intro

Home
 I have been going to Dar-ul-sukun for the past couple of weeks.
I talked to Sister Ruth and we decided that I would serve them best volunteering in the school. I have teaching experience and being brought up with Uncle Mahmood have plenty of experience with down syndrome.

The home has been in existence at this location since 1979. It was started by Sister Gertrude Lemmens and Dutch nun of the Order of the Sisters of Mercy. She took in all special children of any disability and she would also search the country for abandoned or neglected children and bring them back.
My she had some stories to tell!
There are now 197 children at this home, but they have a home in Quetta, one in Lahore and special homes for polio afflicted children and abandoned girls.

Here are just a couple of the children who live at Dar-ul-Sukun.

My Mum has sponsored Cookie since she was a baby. She is now 17 years  old and practically runs the place. She takes enormous responsibility for the school and is very close to Sister Ruth. She is absolutely lovely, bosses the other kids about and loves to wear bright colours and all things Harry Potter.
The lovely Cookie

Tour guide and know it all Rubina

This is Rubina, my tour guide on my first visit back. She talks 9 to the dozen, knows everyone and everything that goes on






Polly the lovely down syndrome girl that I met when she was just a baby. She is very cute and takes her job of cleaning up the classrooms ever so serious, storming around the place.
Hardworking Polly





And I haven't got a clue who this woman is because, Polly Rubina and Cookie just called her over to get her photo taken 

Don't remember who this is

No comments:

Post a Comment